Looking for the right diet for your needs? Well, this is not always so easy, especially with the many diets out there to consider. From the Atkins Diet to the Sugar Busters diet, there are so many diets out there; however, today we want to take a closer look at the Sugar Busters Diet and all it has to offer. If you are considering this diet, keep reading to find out how the diet works, the people it does the best for, and all the pros and cons of using this diet in your own life.
Sugar Busters Overview
The Sugar Busters Diet and books has been developed by four different authors, including Samuel Andrews, MD, H. Leighton Steward, Luis Balart, MD, and Morrison Bethea, MD. They published this book themselves and all of them are from the city of New Orleans. Basically the diet focuses on getting rid of anything that has too much sugar content in it, since it can cause problems with the biochemical system in the body. The authors also promise that you will get more energy, lower your cholesterol levels, you’ll feel better, and treat a variety of different diseases with this diet.
People Who It Works for Best
Those who do the best with this diet is those who really do need to cut sugar out of their lives, such as those dealing with diabetes. People who need to lower their cholesterol can also find some great results with this diet as well. However, this diet may not be for everyone, since it really is quite restrictive, just like many other diets out there today.
Pros and Cons of Sugar Busters
When it comes to Sugar Busters diet, there are many different pros and cons that come along with this diet. If you are not sure it is for you, you should take a look at the pros and the cons of this diet and figure out if it really is going to be a great choice for you when you go on a diet. Here are some of the pros and cons of this diet that you need to consider for yourself.
– Pro #1 – Very Simple to Use – Probably one of the biggest pros about this Sugar Busters diet is that it is simple for everyone to use. You don’t have to worry about counting carbs, you don’t have to measure out foods, and there are no different phases of the diet to worry about. You can easily follow this very basic diet, and while it may not be an easy diet, it definitely is a simple one to follow.
– Pro #2 – Plenty of Fiber – Another pro to this diet is that there is plenty of fiber in the diet, which is definitely important. Also, you get plenty of fruits, veggies, and grains, which means you’ll get the phytonutrients that you need as well. So, you’ll be getting all the nutrients needed to keep your body health.
– Pro #3 – Low Amount of Saturated Fat – The fact that this diet is low in saturated fat is a big pro as well. While it really doesn’t emphasize this much, the foods that you eat are low in the saturated fats, which is important if you want to keep your body healthy.
– Con #1 – No Individual Variation for the Diet – There are cons to this diet as well, and one of them is that there is really no variation in the diet for individuals. This can be an issue since many people have different glucose tolerances. So, if you are looking for a diet that can be changed to your body, this is not the one for you.
– Con #2 – The Book is Not easy to Understand – The book on the Sugar Busters diet is not so easy to understand, which is a big con. It can be really hard to figure out this diet by reading the book and it doesn’t really explain to readers how to incorporate the diet into their life.
– Con #3 – Relies Too Much on the Glycemic Index – Many people feel that this diet relies to heavily on the glycemic index, which can be a problem. Also, the diet is not consistent when using the glycemic index either, which can definitely be confusing.
Foods to Eat and Foods to Avoid
When you are on Sugar Busters dieting plan, you are allowed to eat a variety of fruits and vegetables. You can eat many meats as well, like fish, red meats, and poultry too. Dairy products, nuts, and olive oil is allowed. In small portions you are allowed to eat breads that are whole grain as well as whole grain pastas. However, the simple carbs, such as white rice, potatoes, pasta, white bread, and most sugars are not allowed in this diet.
The Medical Community Weighs In
Most people in the medical community are not fond of this diet at all. In fact, some people seem to think that this diet contains far too much protein in it. Also, there can be several different side effects with this diet, such as fatigue, irritability, liver damage, weakness, and even kidney damage.
Disclaimer: Always consult a doctor before starting any diet program.